About Me: As a recent college graduate and an emerging public relations and communications professional, I have developed a deeply rooted commitment to the positive representation of African Americans in the media. As a child, being active in sports and the arts gave me the competitive edge that I possess today while also allowing me to build my credibility in regards to the connection of the ‘black celebrity’ that every child wishes to be, such as Misty Copeland, Serena Williams or Denzel Washington. Although people may not realize it, black athletes, singers, actors, rappers, etc. are pressure every day by the media to not trash their reputation in the public eye.
Since paparazzi has the job always hiding in the bushes trying to make a dollar, my job as a risk management and crisis communications executive will be to develop strategies necessary to prepare my client for any damage control that may come their way. What I love most about public relations, by far, are the challenges that come with it: never having one set project, always dealing with an array of clients from a multitude of industries, micromanaging events, and much more. I would like to explore my professionalism in the world of communications while integrating my passions of technology, medicine, sports, fashion, consumer and entertainment.
In addition, I have a wide range of skills in writing and journalism, which further develops my expertise in media pitching, press release writing and event recap development. Moreover, study abroad experience heightens my appreciation for global marketing and public relations campaigns and allows me to express gratitude towards other cultures and ethnic backgrounds I may come across as an account executive. My meta-cognition allows me to recognize my underlying passion for diversity and inclusion.
Ten Fun Facts About Me:
- I was born and raised in Brooklyn, New York
- My favourite flowers are white roses
- I’ve been dancing since the age of two, but I specialize in hip hop and dancehall
- I’ve gone through over fifteen hair changes since my freshman year of college, but I’m a die-hard BLONDIE
- I’m a huge fan of Chance the Rapper, Childish Gambino and Justin Bieber.
- I’m a Yankees fan
- My favourite colours are seafoam green, black and gold
- I love movies and television series dealing with high school (i.e. 90210, Degrassi, One Tree Hill, Gossip Girl)
- I name all of my electronics (I’m currently typing on my laptop named Rosie)
- My all-time favourite book series is A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket
Contact Me Directly:
LinkedIn: D’Shonda Brown